Friday, August 3, 2012

Say No To Curtains



It's Friday, and I am linking with Kelly's Korner "show us your life" series. This week Kelly is asking "What window treatments do you have in your home?"

I am not a believer in heavy curtains. Luckily, I do not have neighbors in the back of my house, so for the most part, I can leave my wooden blinds open and let the sun in. I love to have light, open window treatments that show off the window frame and the trees outside, instead of hiding them.

Sometimes, it is ok to say no to curtains. I am going to give you two examples of how this can work in your home. First, below is a photo of the window treatment in my laundry room. The window is on the east side of my house and I choose to let the morning sun stream in. For color and fun, I have placed a flower swag above the window frame, with sunny, yellow daisies and ivy. This adds interest to the top of the window, but does not cover the view. It is attached with clear wire and two small nails.

Another idea for a window treatment in a den or a sports themed room, is to use a piece of sports equipment at the top of the window frame.

In my den, I have used a special decorative putter (Michigan State) between the window frame and the crown molding. Again, this adds interest and color to the top of the window, but the blinds can be easily opened to allow in light. Other sports related options would be a baseball bat, a hockey stick or a water or snow ski.

You can use your imagination - just know it is possible to use unusual items that work with the theme of the room, instead of curtains, to add interest and color.

Have a great summer weekend :-)



16 comments:

  1. Oh I so love the open windows too, just side panels if anything. Love both of your ideas. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea! I can think of a few things I can do that with! Found you on the friday blog hop!
    Diane
    ATA Girls
    Treasuring Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lots of light streaming in:) Great ideas...following along now! Have a lovely weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog, am a new follower, hopping over from At Home Take 2! Come visit me if you get a chance....I am another empty nester....fun isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I'm a new follower :)Found you through the At home take 2 blog hop
    Have a nice weekend
    www.ohsoamelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother use to do this in the kitchen!
    Great ideas.

    thanks for stopping by and following! I returned the favor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the golf club idea. I know someone who has a golf themed bathroom. I will mention the idea of putting a club above the door! Thanks for the great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sport themed room is a great idea. tq for sharing.

    visiting u from the bloghopseveryday =)
    http://healthybeautifulblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like heavy window treatments. I like to let the sun shine in and be able to see outside. Love your ideas! Thanks for visiting me and following. I'm one of your new follower.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can say no to curtains. Know all about it from this post

    Curtains

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (159) florida (123) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (193) nana time (4) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved