Friday, August 10, 2012

Unique and Easy T Shirt Quilt




When my daughters were in high school, they accumulated so many t-shirts, it was hard to find space in their dresser drawers to hold each and every one. And, because each one was a reminder of a special event, sports team, championship, etc., simply getting rid of them was out of the question. My solution was to make a t-shirt quilt, as a special gift for their high school graduation. I wanted this quilt to be a keepsake, but also something they would be comfortable using everyday.

What makes this quilt unique, is that the t-shirt is not sewn on, nor does it fill the entire quilt square. I cut the part of the t shirt I wanted to use, centered it on the quilt square, placed light batting under it, then trimmed the outside with brightly colored ribbon, using liquid stitch.

If there are small printed areas you like on the t-shirt, you can use several, on one quilt square. This method would also work well in making a quilt with child size t-shirts.

The base of the quilt is 16 pre-cut quilt squares, sewn together. I placed t-shirts on eleven quilt squares, leaving four quilt squares open and put my daughters name on one square. Putting the quilt together was simple; using light batting for the middle and fleece for warmth and coziness on the back. After sewing the sides, I finished the top and bottom with blanket binding. The final step was a small piece of ribbon sewn through all the layers on each corner of the quilt squares.

This quilt was easy and fun to make, and my daughters have a unique keepsake to use and keep forever :-)



Vicki



Linking this post with these friends this week :-)



Full Circle Creations

Savvy Southern Style

Handy Man Crafty Woman

The DIY Dreamer

The Charm of Home

Simple Home Life

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson

Serenity Now

Funky Junk Interiors

1929 Charmer

I Heart Naptime

Sunny Simple Life

Between Naps on the Porch

Alderberry Hill

Salt Tree

The Dedicated House

Cozy Little House

a bowl full of lemons

Love and Laundry

And more friends I find :-)





25 comments:

  1. How sweet! What a great keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love for you to link-up this cute quilt to my blog today, this is great! :)
    Wanderlust Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for linking up today. It made my whole day! I hope you will come back next week, same time and same place. I can't wait to hear more!
      talesoftheyoungertwin.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Waaay cute! I plan to do this with my daughters Sorority tshirts shes collecting in college. we'll see.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Thank you for sharing on Handyman, Crafty Woman's Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT idea! A perfect way to save a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful, sweet idea for a momento from home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came through from the Welcome Wednesday linky.

    The idea of using the t-shirts just for patches on top makes sense. I've thought about trying to use t-shirts before for things, but then I've worried I would put all that effort in just to have the tshirts rip more, since the sentimental ones are often already worn and not the strongest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely idea and a fabulous keepsake for your daughters!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! Such wonderful memories in this. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki, what a sweet keepsake for your daughter. I have seen t-shirt quilts before, but yours is quite unique. I'm sure she will cherish it forever. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice idea. I have been contemplating making a t-shirt quilt out of t-shirts I no longer use, but had not thought of using them as only a portion of a block. I imagine that they would be nice as the center of a log cabin block as well.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I saved all of my son's cutest baby clothes with the goal of one day making a quilt out of them.

    While he is only twelve, I think about about being an empty nester often. I imagine it to be exciting and heartbreaking all at once. He is gaining a lot of independence these days, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Parenting is an emotional minefield!

    Happy Blogging,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great quilt! I am planning on making a t-shirt quilt after college with all of my sorority mixers/rush tshirts! Have a happy Thursday and be sure to check out my giveaway ending tonight! . BTW I am your newest follower and cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!! Way to go!! I sooo want to make a quilt someday!

    Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream to Reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative!!

    I added you in GFC! You can check out my blog at whyyyjen.blogspot.com :)

    I hope you can join my Twitter link up!
    http://whyyyjen.blogspot.com/2012/08/twitter-link-up.html

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a fabulous idea and a great way to cherish memories! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! I've always wanted to make a t-shirt quilt.

    Thanks so much for sharing this at the Weekend Wonders party. Hope to see you back on Thursday. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Visiting you via Make It Pretty Monday. I would love for you to visit My Dream Canvas. This is very cute. Have a great day. Anu

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is way cute, a t-shirt quilt I have not made before. Great idea to hold memories dear! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea, and it's a keepsake they'll have forever!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fantastic! Thank you for sharing this at Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how you framed in the smaller logos. http://www.decorellaknox.com/2012/09/how-to-make-t-shirt-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cool idea. I should find someone gifted to do this with my boys' old shirts when they're older.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (159) florida (123) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (193) nana time (4) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved