Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Red White and Blue Banner

 

 

With July approaching, I planned to do a little patriotic decorating on my mantel and the first element I wanted to add was a red, white and blue banner. Instead of using fabric, like the other banners I have made, I decided to use some fun scrapbook paper in some unexpected patterns - stripes and polka dots, instead of stars.

First, I used a paper cutter to make six 12 X 3 inch strips from the sheets of paper. After folding each strip in half lengthwise, I cut a notch from the open end and then used some craft glue to glue the sides together, leaving space to insert the twine near the fold.

Next, I strung the finished pennants on red and white butcher's twine, spacing them evenly and leaving enough twine on the ends to easily hang the banner.

This sweet, paper banner now hangs from my fireplace mantel - ready for the month of July and our patriotic celebration. Later this week, I will show my finished July mantel and one other cute project, just in time for the 4th of July.

Happy Wednesday!

 

{Linking with these friends}

Lil Luna

A Stroll Thru Life

House of Rose

Southern Lovely

Diana Rambles

Your Home Based Mom

Tutus and Tea Parties

Savvy Southern Style

Handy Man Crafty Woman

The Charm of Home

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson

Serenity Now

Funky Junk Interiors

I Heart Naptime

Sunny Simple Life

Between Naps on the Porch

Alderberry Hill

The Dedicated House

Cozy Little House

a bowl full of lemons

Kathe with an E

Life on Lakeshore Drive

Craftberry Bush

Live Laugh Rowe

A Delightsome Life

Cedar Hill Ranch

Skip To My Lou

The Shabby Creek Cottage

Rooted in Thyme

The Girl Creative

The Tablescaper

Jennifer Rizzo

DIY by Design

Common Ground

Coastal Charm

 

31 comments:

  1. Love your Happy 4th Banner . . . very fun and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect and colorful banner:) Love it! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your patriotic banner! It has inspired me to get something going here at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and it seems much easier than a fabric banner. I like the idea of using the colored twine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Love the papers you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so cute! I am loving banners and pennants right now....this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 4th of July I like your banners. We are celebrating Canada Day july 1st here I should make some banners or go to an auction. I guess I will go to an auction and maybe by some banners:) Have a great 4th of July. B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute patriotic banner. I am not decorating inside for the 4th, just outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I love about this banner is that it's simple, cute and easy to do. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this idea. Did you score the fold or was it easy to fold without scoring? Your paper choices are really great and I like your departure from the usual American flag bunting. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so fun. I need to do a summer look for my fireplace. This may be just the thing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, Vicki!! It's our Canada Day weekend here and our colours are red & white (for our maple leaf flag, of course). I love decorating with these colours for the holiday. Heading out to get some red and white paper for a Canadian banner thanks to your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so nice. I love how simple it is to do. Great idea!
    Sherri@MadeFromPinterest.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your sweet banner. Been looking for the finishing touch on my red, white, and blue round up! This is it. Pinned. Swing by http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/06/red-white-and-blue-roundup.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea to use scrapbooking paper!

    Very, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute Vicki. I like the papers that you chose. I just finished decorating my mantel with old toys. My friend gave me a paper garland a few years ago. I thought I might doll it up a little and add it. Hope you link up your mantle when you show it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute! I think I used the same red and white polka dot paper in my banner :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute! I love simple holiday decorating ideas :).

    - Chaney (visiting from Serenity Now!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute! Visiting from TT&J.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 4th of July.......Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute banner. Great for the 4th.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love your banner. How fun is that. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorableness! Where did you find such cute scrapbook paper, I can never find any I like at Joann's or Michael's. Saw your link at Brenda's Cozy Little House, thanks for sharing.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your creation of the scarp paper patriotic banner! The red and white polka dots have a nice twist!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute! Using the bakers twine makes this over-the-top!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfect for any red, white & blue holiday Vicki!! Thanks so much for sharing this at the party this week! I am featuring it on my Facebook page and have pinned to the You're Gonna Love It Tuesday board on Pinterest :-) Have a terrific holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so cute, Vicki! Check out this week's Open House party to see your banner featured. Thanks for joining the party.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oops...I forgot to tell you I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (160) florida (124) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (194) nana time (5) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved