- I am enjoying the fact that I can go in my back yard and put together a pretty vase of flowers every few days. I like using a simple mason jar, a bit of burlap and a few sweet flowers. My trick is to cut some pretty leaves from the smaller trees and bushes at the edge of the woods and use them as filler. The greenery gives the bouquet height and depth and lasts for a long time.
- This book, The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew, is one I stumbled across on Amazon and I honestly couldn't put it down when I started reading it. There is a bit of foreshadowing in the first sentence that piques your interest and the point of view of the main character is so touching. Set at the very beginning of the civil rights movement, it tells the story of a girl coming of age in that tumultuous era and the love she had for the family's black housekeeper. If you liked The Help, you will love this book. This could be a selection I pick for my book club to read.
- There still seems to be a lot of confusion about the end of Google Reader on July 1st. As of now, Google has not made any announcement that Google Friend Connect will be going away - only Google Reader. Until they make that announcement, I expect to still see the blogs I follow via GFC, on my dashboard, after July 1st. Bloglovin is wonderful, but I still like using the blogger dashboard as another reading alternative.
- All this rain and humidity we are having has brought the mosquitos out in full force. I guess it is time to break out the bug spray whenever I am going to be outside. Bug spray just seems like it is full of chemicals and I always feel the need to shower after using it. But, I am not going to let the mosquitos chase me out of my garden :-)
- I enjoyed the 100th episode of The Real Housewives of Orange County. It was fun to look back at how the show has changed and see and hear from the housewives that have left. The 1st season was definitely more about their real lives and less about manufactured drama and made up story lines. They were neighbors, who were friends in real life. It reminded me of why I started watching the housewife shows and why I am losing interest in some of them now.
Linking with Ramblings of a Suburban Mom, Thursday Thoughts