Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thoughts for Thursday...blogging, reality tv, etc.

 

 

  • I am enjoying the fact that I can go in my back yard and put together a pretty vase of flowers every few days. I like using a simple mason jar, a bit of burlap and a few sweet flowers. My trick is to cut some pretty leaves from the smaller trees and bushes at the edge of the woods and use them as filler. The greenery gives the bouquet height and depth and lasts for a long time.
  • This book, The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew, is one I stumbled across on Amazon and I honestly couldn't put it down when I started reading it. There is a bit of foreshadowing in the first sentence that piques your interest and the point of view of the main character is so touching. Set at the very beginning of the civil rights movement, it tells the story of a girl coming of age in that tumultuous era and the love she had for the family's black housekeeper. If you liked The Help, you will love this book. This could be a selection I pick for my book club to read.

~

  • There still seems to be a lot of confusion about the end of Google Reader on July 1st. As of now, Google has not made any announcement that Google Friend Connect will be going away - only Google Reader. Until they make that announcement, I expect to still see the blogs I follow via GFC, on my dashboard, after July 1st. Bloglovin is wonderful, but I still like using the blogger dashboard as another reading alternative.

~

  • All this rain and humidity we are having has brought the mosquitos out in full force. I guess it is time to break out the bug spray whenever I am going to be outside. Bug spray just seems like it is full of chemicals and I always feel the need to shower after using it. But, I am not going to let the mosquitos chase me out of my garden :-)

~

  • I enjoyed the 100th episode of The Real Housewives of Orange County. It was fun to look back at how the show has changed and see and hear from the housewives that have left. The 1st season was definitely more about their real lives and less about manufactured drama and made up story lines. They were neighbors, who were friends in real life. It reminded me of why I started watching the housewife shows and why I am losing interest in some of them now.

Happy Thursday!

 

Linking with Ramblings of a Suburban Mom, Thursday Thoughts

15 comments:

  1. Oh I am still going to stay with GFC too and hope it stays I guess I may be too lazy/busy to switch to anything else. I look forward to seeing you here on my list after July 1st. Well I hope so or I am in trouble. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting about the book. I have added it to my "to-read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an excellent book. I really like GFC and always use my dashboard to reach blogs. I plan to keep using it indefinitely, though I like Bloglovin' too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a sweet bouquet from your garden. Thanks for the book review; sounds like a good one to add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bloglovin set up just in case. Who knows! I will have to look into that book as it sounds like it would be something our book club would enjoy as well. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "Reality TV". I also have been with RHOOC since episode one and agree that it sometimes feels a little tiresome now. But I have to give them credit for being the original and launching such a hugely successful franchise for Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love 'The Help' so I must read this book of yours. And, you hit it right on with the daisies. I do love daisies, especially Shasta ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to see if this book is available at the library! Sounds wonderful!

    I'm working on setting up Bloglovin' but I don't really understand much of that.

    I always liked takings snippets off my pine trees and mixing them with flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vicki, I love simple bouquets in jars or pitchers. The book sounds good and I'm writing it done for a 'to read' book. Loved, loved, the Help! Glad to hear that about Google. I have not been on the ball and done anything. Kind of remind me when everyone panicked before and we added linky but google did not go away. I've never watched the Housewives, but my DIL loves it.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. very pretty bouquet Vicki! I love flowers in mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are so pretty - and I love the mason jar with burlap! I'm going to go check out that book, now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read my blogs thru dashboard, I hope it doesn't go away. My hubby and I watch Housewives of OC too. All the fighting is just getting old! I am writing down this book to look up at my library. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always use the dashboard. The book sounds intriguing! And I really like your sweet little flower arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicki, I wanted to tell you about a product I use to repel mosquitos. It's made by OFF, and you wear it on your belt line. It has batteries and you turn it on and it does keep the mosquitos away. I love it, as it means I get no bites plus I don't have to shower after I come inside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like another great book, Vicki. I'm passing the title on to my sister who is always looking for suggestions for her book club. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (160) florida (124) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (194) nana time (5) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved