Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Vanilla Cherry Chocolate Cookies

 

 

 

July seems to be cherry month for me, since this is the second recipe I have used with fresh, local Michigan cherries. With the cooler than normal temperatures we have been having, there are no worries about heating the house with the oven and cool weather always puts me in the mood to bake something.

After making and enjoying this Cherry Coffee Cake last week, yesterday I decided to try these Vanilla Cherry Chocolate Cookies. They seemed the perfect treat for an afternoon snack, served with a glass of tea or lemonade and the flavors of chocolate and cherries together, are one of my favorites. Instead of using chocolate chips, I decided to chop up a good quality chocolate bar and the chunks of chocolate, paired with the sweet cherries, make these cookies special. I think they are the perfect summertime cookie.

 

Vanilla Cherry Chocolate Cookies


1 1/2 cups flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 stick butter; softened to room temperature

1/2 cup sugar ( I used Spenda for baking)

1/4 cup light brown sugar ( I used Splenda)

1 T vanilla

1 egg

4 ounces chocolate chips ( I used a chocolate bar cut into chunks)

1/2 cup chopped sweet cherries ( I used local Michigan cherries)


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder an salt; set aside.

Using a mixer, beat together butter and sugars at medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Add vanilla. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate and cherries by hand.

Scoop the dough using a cookie scoop onto a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake until the edges are brown, about 12 minutes. This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies. Enjoy!


Happy Tuesday!

 

{Linking with these friends}


A Stroll Thru Life

My 1929 Charmer

Savvy Southern Style

The Charm of Home

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson

Serenity Now

Between Naps on the Porch

The Dedicated House

Cozy Little House

Craftberry Bush

Live Laugh Rowe

A Delightsome Life

Cedar Hill Ranch

Skip To My Lou

Rooted in Thyme

Jennifer Rizzo

DIY by Design

Common Ground

Coastal Charm

Stonegable

Rattlebridge Farm


Mom's Test Kitchen


Made From Pinterest

Coffee With Us Three

Gooseberry Patch

Mostly Homeade Mom

 

16 comments:

  1. They sound delicious. Before we had to eat gluten free, we used to get the best cherry ice box cookies in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!!..Another good cookie recipe...thanks Vicki. Do you know if I can freeze them?...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, yum, yum! Cherry, chocolate, AND a treat I can have; what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound so good; great idea to use the chocolate bar. John is from MI and often talks about how good the cherries were when he was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me sold on this! We have cool temps, too. Now..do you chop up fresh cherries...like from the grocery or farmstand, or do you buy some version of them?

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds good, Vicki. By the way, I'm reading "The Last Runaway" and really enjoying. I'm just going to let you pick my books from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! What a great recipe. Do you think it would work with white chocolate? Even though I know that white chocolate isn't really chocolate, I do love the combo of cherries and white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those sound good--anything with cherries is good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicky those cookies look great. I am going to give them I try. I am not a good cook as my 4th of July cake blog will support. Always looking for new recipies. My flash back cake is not fancy but tasts good. this is recipe -http://cindymarie-emptynest-challenge.blogspot.com/2014/07/day-3-fashback-4th-july-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look really good. I'm always looking for new recipes for tea time treats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yumm, I love cherries. These cookies sound fantastic. Stopping by from the Super Saturday Link Party, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious Vicki! I love cherries and chocolate together. I have cherries in the fridge. Need to try making these! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look and sound so yummy!
    Thanks for sharing Vicki!
    Have a great week,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicki,
    hopping back to let you know that I am featuring you at SYC this week.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (159) florida (123) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (193) nana time (4) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved