Friday, August 22, 2014

My Favorites in Pittsburgh

 

 

 

Our Pittsburgh weekend trip can be described by the different neighborhoods we visited; all unique and all equally fun.

 

 

We started the morning on Saturday in the Shadyside neighborhood, located near the University of Pittsburgh campus. It was a vibrant, residential neighborhood with fun shopping and restaurants to explore.

 

 

My favorite meal of the day was at the Steel Cactus Mexican Restaurant, where we enjoyed post shopping appetizers, margaritas and mojitos on the sunny rooftop.

 

 

After riding the incline to the Mount Washington neighborhood and taking photos of the magnificent view, we took a break at the Shiloh Grill. It was here that I enjoyed my favorite cocktail of the day; a frozen cosmopolitan. What could be better than a yummy frozen drink, enjoyed with my daughters on another outdoor patio with sweeping views, located high above the city?

 

 

Later that night, after a walk around the riverfront and a quick change of clothes, we walked through the downtown Cultural District to find the restaurant Megan had chosen for our dinner. Her choice, Olive or Twist, described as Pittsburgh's premier martini bar, is small and intimate with brick walls and a definite inner city atmosphere.

I started off the evening with the Perfect Pear Martini, very light and delicious with flavors of pear and elderflower liqueur. Our appetizer of Truffle fries was another favorite of the weekend - so yummy! Then, to finish off our meal, we shared a Strawberry Shortcake Martini made with cake vodka, Rumchata, strawberry purée and vanilla cream. It was served with a graham cracker rim on the martini glass and it was so good, I plan to recreate it at home.

My daughters are so fun, love to try new things and it was just a lovely trip :-)

Have a wonderful weekend!

 

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun time! Love seeing these smiles! I know you all had a wonderful weekend! Enjoy your day dear friend! Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pittsburgh! My family is a many-generations (6+ on most lines) Pittsburgh family, and I myself lived there until my mid teens. I've made many trips back through the years, and I always love being there.

    Your daughters are beautiful! How wonderful that you got to have such a fun weekend with them.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a wonderful day. Love that view. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...I'm thinking margarita's are called for here this weekend!

    What a great time to spend with your girls!

    Love the"burgh"

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome. Certainly a lot different than the steel town of old

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favorite neighborhoods, favorite meals, favorite beverages and favorite girls! What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great time was had ...special memories.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. The views in Pittsburgh are beautiful. Glad you had a good time with the girls. It looks like you didn't starve while you were there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (159) florida (123) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (193) nana time (4) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved