Thursday, October 23, 2014

Death Comes to Pemberley

 

 

 

A PBS Masterpiece Theatre and BBC adaptation based on a favorite novel is something that makes me very happy. Sunday night, Death Comes to Pemberley will finally be shown in the states, after airing to good reviews in England last year.

It is based on the novel of the same name, by respected mystery writer P.D. James and picks up six years after Pride and Prejudice left off. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are living a quiet, happy life at Pemberley and in the midst of planning an autumn ball. On the eve of the ball, a murder occurs, involving Elizabeth's disgraced sister Lydia and her husband of dubious character, Wickham. What follows is a wonderful murder mystery set in the world of Jane Austen.

The book, on which it is based, was very good and the characters and situations are very true to the spirit of Pride and Prejudice. It will be interesting to see the set recreation of Pemberley, the costumes and the new actors cast as Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. Of course for me, there will never be a better Mr. Darcy than Colin Firth, but Matthew Rhys (Brothers and Sisters) is an interesting choice.

It begins Sunday night and will be shown in two parts, concluding next Sunday, November 2nd. You will find me in front of my television, once again lost in the lovely world of Pride and Prejudice, this time with a murder mystery as the plot.

Happy Thursday!

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful movie, and great way to spend a Sunday evening. I will have to set my Tivo to record. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read 'Death Comes to Pemberley' last year in our book club and everyone loved it - a great mystery set it such an interesting period . My brother mentioned it was going to be on PBS soon so I'm glad you let us know it starts this weekend. We're planning to take a leaf-peeping drive Sunday but you can bet we'll be home in time for me to watch this!! ( WH will probably watching the baseball game. lol) Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love most things that come on Masterpiece Theatre, and have even subscribed to ACORN TV, which is all British TV. Love, love, love it. Thanks for the 'preview', since I was clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to record it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one I look forward to and have programmed in. Love the story, hope the do it justice. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colin Firth is perfect in everything he does but I'm willing to give this Mr. Darcy a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (159) florida (123) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (193) nana time (4) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved