One of my favorite genre of books are detective (police procedurals) novels. And if the story is set in England, all the better. I love figuring out the detective's rank (DS versus DI versus DCI), the different vernacular and the descriptions of the English countryside or London neighborhoods. There are both female and male detective's on my favorites list, but if I am honest, it is the females I prefer. I find their attitude and choice of career so interesting and love reading about how they navigate working in a predominantly male environment. Some of them are flawed, but they are usually written as very smart and very strong willed.
There are many, many detective series out there and one of my favorite things is to stumble upon a new to me series, that I can read in order; the more books in the series the better. I find recommendations in all kinds of places (other bloggers can be a great source), but usually find something new by browsing Amazon. I have listed below my favorites and noted the main character. I have also linked to the first book in the series.
- Maeve Kerrigan Series by Jane Casey - The Burning
- Marjory Fleming Series by Aline Templeton - Cold In The Earth
- Lacey Flint Series by Sharon Bolton - Now You See Me
- Inspector Lynley Series by Elizabeth George - A Great Deliverance
- Simon Serrailler Series by Susan Hill - The Various Haunts of Men
- Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James Series by Deborah Crombie - A Share In Death
- Helen Grace Series by M.J. Arlidge - Eeny Meeny
- Lucy Black Series by Brian McGilloway - Little Girl Lost
- Fiona Griffiths Series by Harry Bingham - Talking To The Dead