My update to my dining room has be stalled for awhile, but I am finally making progress and should finish by next week. The biggest job by far has been recovering the chairs. It is not that it was a hard job, but a temperamental stapler was causing issues that made the job go longer than I anticipated. I do love how they turned out and love the fabric I chose. It is simple, neutral and contrasts beautifully with the wood finish.
The method I used can be found with step by step instructions here, but I also have a few tips I discovered in the process.
1. Use the chair seat as a pattern to cut your fabric, leaving an additional 3 inches all around. Then, trim the extra fabric as you staple. It is easier to have more fabric to work with than not enough, especially on the corners.
2. Make sure and be aware of where the holes for the screws are located so you don't cover them with fabric.
3. The corners can be tricky, but I found they came out the best by pulling the fabric very tight and making small pleats as I stretched. I didn't care for the look of a fold or large pleat, but that is easier if you choose.
And finally, here is a sneak peak of some prints I will be using.