Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Low Sugar Cherry Coffee Cake

 

 

Michigan cherries are in season and if you are lucky enough to be in the Traverse City area, baskets full can be found in abundance at every farm stand. You will also see cherry trees as far as the eye can see, since that area of northern Michigan produces 75% of the word's cherries.

 

 

To celebrate Michigan cherry season, I decided to make something using this beautiful and delicious fruit that would show off its vibrant color and taste. I found an old Martha Stewart Living recipe for Cherry Coffee Cake that I have adapted to suit my needs, by making a couple of changes. Instead of using tart cherries, I am using sweet Michigan cherries and as usual, to fit my diabetic standards, I have used Splenda white baking sugar, as well as Splenda brown sugar, for the crumb topping.

 

 

The sweet cherry taste was a perfect coffee cake flavor and this would be pretty enough to serve when entertaining. Fresh, local, in season fruit, makes any recipe better!

 

Low Sugar Cherry Coffee Cake


For the topping:

4 T butter, melted

3/4 cup flour

1/4 cup Splenda baking sugar

1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

For the cake:

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 stick butter, softened

3/4 cup Splenda baking sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup low fat milk

2 cups sweet cherries, pitted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9 inch round baking pan, dust with flour and tap out excess.

In a medium bowl, stir together topping ingredients; butter, flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon. Set topping aside.

In another medium bowl, using mixer, cream butter and sugar, until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Working in alternating batches, add flour mixture and milk. Beat until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and smooth with spatula. Dot top with cherries and sprinkle with crumb topping.

Bake until golden and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool before cutting. Enjoy!


{Linking with these friends}


A Stroll Thru Life

My 1929 Charmer

Savvy Southern Style

The Charm of Home

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson

Serenity Now

Between Naps on the Porch

The Dedicated House

Cozy Little House

Craftberry Bush

Live Laugh Rowe

A Delightsome Life

Cedar Hill Ranch

Skip To My Lou

Rooted in Thyme

Jennifer Rizzo

DIY by Design

Common Ground

Coastal Charm

Stonegable

Rattlebridge Farm


Mom's Test Kitchen


Made From Pinterest

Coffee With Us Three

Gooseberry Patch

Mostly Homeade Mom


 

12 comments:

  1. Yum, wish I had it now with my coffee on my porch! I make something similar with cherries - a cherry clafouti. It is also delicious! I love cherries! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. And yes, loving the cherries this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds delicious. John and I thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky enough to be in Michigan last year and sampled the cherries, they're so good! I live in Ontario, I have never seen Michigan cherries here, only ones from Washington, would love to have some now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cherries! Your cake looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMMY!!! Love cherries and they are sooooo good for you!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cherries this year are amazing! I feel a little like Dr. Seuss's green eggs and ham. I love those cherries Sam I am. I will eat them in a cake, I will eat them by the lake. I will eat them from a bowl, I will eat them in a roll... You get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy....thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from the Scoop Linky Party....ugh I just want to dive right into this coffee cake!! I love cherries and there is nothing I enjoy more than that amazing crumb topping!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (159) florida (123) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (193) nana time (4) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved